What to Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes

If your dog eats grapes, it’s crucial to act quickly as grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs, potentially leading to kidney failure, seizures, and even death. Here’s what to do if your dog ingests grapes and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

1. Recognize the Signs

If you witness your dog eating grapes or suspect they may have ingested them, it’s essential to recognize the signs of grape toxicity. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, decreased appetite, increased thirst and urination, weakness, and tremors. In severe cases, dogs may experience seizures or collapse.

2. Contact Your Veterinarian Immediately

If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately, even if they are not showing symptoms. Time is of the essence when it comes to grape toxicity, and prompt treatment is essential to minimize the risk of complications. Provide as much information as possible about the quantity of grapes ingested and your dog’s weight and breed.

3. Seek Veterinary Care

Your veterinarian will likely recommend bringing your dog in for evaluation and treatment, even if they are not exhibiting symptoms. Treatment may include inducing vomiting to remove any remaining grapes from your dog’s stomach, administering activated charcoal to absorb toxins, intravenous fluids to support kidney function, and monitoring your dog’s vital signs and blood work for signs of kidney damage.

4. Follow Your Veterinarian’s Recommendations

Follow your veterinarian’s recommendations for treatment and monitoring closely. Depending on the severity of your dog’s condition, they may need to stay in the hospital for observation and supportive care. Be sure to follow any instructions for medication administration, dietary restrictions, and follow-up appointments to ensure your dog makes a full recovery.

5. Prevent Future Incidents

To prevent your dog from eating grapes in the future, it’s essential to take proactive measures to keep grapes and raisins out of their reach. Store grapes and raisins securely in a sealed container or cupboard where your dog cannot access them. Be vigilant about keeping grapes and raisins out of reach on countertops, tables, and other surfaces where your dog may be tempted to investigate.

6. Educate Others

Educate family members, friends, and visitors about the dangers of grapes and raisins to dogs, especially if they have a dog or will be spending time in your home. Remind them not to share grapes or raisins with your dog and to be mindful of leaving them within reach.

7. Consider Alternative Treats

Instead of grapes or raisins, offer your dog safe and healthy treats like carrots, apples (without seeds), blueberries, or strawberries. These fruits are low in calories and safe for dogs to consume in moderation, providing them with essential nutrients and satisfying their cravings for something sweet.


If your dog eats grapes, it’s essential to take immediate action to protect their health and well-being. Contact your veterinarian immediately, even if your dog is not showing symptoms, and follow their recommendations for treatment and monitoring closely. By acting quickly and preventing future incidents, you can help keep your dog safe from the dangers of grape toxicity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *